“Tell me about yourself”
The most dreaded question ever. I’ve never been good at describing myself, so here are 25 things people may not know about me. Enjoy!
- I am the middle child, also the middle cousin. That makes me the sane one in the family. Can you believe that shit?
- I named my sister when she was born- then held her up like Simba from the Lion King for the entire world to see.
- In a college writing composition course, I once wrote and handed in a paper on my very first sexual experience. I got an A-.
- I walked through the jungles of Peru for three hours all by myself, all for the sake of budgeting.
- Every night, before I go to sleep I have to watch one or two episodes of The Golden Girls. It’s something about that show that I can’t get enough of.
- I don’t have a sweet tooth. To avoid eating birthday cakes at parties, I used to tell people I was diabetic.
- I don’t have a belly button.
- I love cooking for my friends; I love it even more when my friends cook for me.
- In junior high school, my picture was in an article for the New York Daily News
- I once woke up during surgery. Twice.
- I have a dislodged pinkie toe. It comes out every now and then and I have to sort of “click” it back into place.
- I have never seen the video for Jay-Z’s “Empire State of Mind”. And I’m a New Yorker!
- All of my close friends are successful women of color who keep me on my toes. Their unwavering support of me and my crazy ideas and antics continue to move me forward. They have no idea how much they inspire me.
- I have done crazy things for love, and I don’t regret any of them. It’s the things that I didn’t do that I regret.
- I rep Brooklyn. No matter where I go, you gon’ know where I’m from.
- I’ve gotten pulled over by police for going too fast…on a bicycle.
- I did not go to my senior prom and I have never regretted that decision.
- I’ve always had sinus issues, and because of that it has affected my sense of smell. Usually I can’t smell a thing, but if I do, that means it smells really good or really bad.
- For purely egotistical reasons, I learned how to dance Salsa.
- I randomly dream about people in my life, and usually in the dream something is wrong. When I tell them, they are surprised, but eventually tell me that they are going through serious life changes at the moment. It’s spooky.
- I am a present person. I choose to live in the moment. Don’t ask me what I’m doing tomorrow, or what I did last week for that matter. Chances are, I don’t know and I don’t remember.
- I am horrible with people’s names, even if I’ve known them for years. If I look at you with a blank stare, don’t take it personal; I’m just trying to remember your name. And don’t take that personal.
- Papa was a rolling stone. I have a brother I have never met. So every Troy that I meet, my first question is “Who’s yo’ daddy?”
- I once fought off a mugger. Don’t try this at home folks.
- Traveling is a once in a lifetime experience. I make it a rule to not go to the same country twice.